“ADDICTION isn’t a choice anyone makes. It’s a RESPONSE to emotional pain.”
There is no-one-size-fits all when it comes to addiction counselling.
Every addict is different, with their own problems and reasons for adopting the addictive habit. Equally, the path to recovery is different for everybody, and a trained counselor will be able to tailor their advice to what suits best the needs of the individual patient. They may also be able to recommend them to other support groups or further treatment where this may be necessary.
Nancy specializes in addiction with much emphasis on substance abuse.
She has helped many adolescents and adults stop abusing pain medication, heroin, and other illicit substances. She is gentle and compassionate in her approach, helping bring to light what response to emotional pain each person may have that brought on the addiction in the first place.
Licenses / Certifications:
- NY State Certified Social Worker
- NY State Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Specialized training in Domestic Violence
- Substance Abuse Professional
- Certified Alcohol & Substance Abuse Professional
- EMDR therapist
- National Association of Social Workers
- Fellow of the NY State Society for Clinical Social Work
- Board Certified Diplomat of the American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work
For more information about counseling:
Read some of my other posts about substance abuse below:
- Seeking Assistance for AnxietySeeking assistance for anxiety problems is the first step towards a better tomorrow. We all worry from time to time. These days, the world seems especially stressful and you may be feeling more angst than usual. Your time may be stretched thin due to added responsibilities or perhaps you have too much time on your hands and are feeling a sense of ennui. Either way, it…
- Opioid overdoses higher in 2020 than before the pandemic.A new study indicates that the opioid crisis in the US is deepening because of a new threat — the COVID-19 pandemic. According to latest research, the opioid epidemic didn’t disappear. Rather, it lurked in the shadows of the coronavirus pandemic, growing in strength & taking advantage of a society now more susceptible than ever. In a large cross-sectional study published in JAMA Psychiatry on Feb.…
- Talk Therapy Counseling with Nancy HilsenrathLife is full of ebbs and flows and we are generally able to ride the tide and stay afloat. Unless we don’t… What if we are struggling and can’t quite find our equilibrium? “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” Albert Einstein Everything is in constant motion and there is a gift for each of us within this movement.…
- Talk Therapy for Anxiety DisordersAnxiety disorders are the most common group of mental disorders. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, around 40 million adults in the United States over the age of 18 experience some type of anxiety disorder. Although many psychological conditions may involve anxiety, some of the most common may include post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, agoraphobia and/or social anxiety disorder.…
- Therapy for Anxiety / Panic AttacksPanic attacks can occur without warning, provoking an intense surge of fear that can be disruptive and debilitating. They can occur as a result of perceived danger in the absence of a real or imminent threat. Within minutes a panic attack can reach its peak, accompanied by both physical and mental discomfort. Generalized anxiety can have a constant presence in your life, while panic attacks occur…
- What Causes Children to Become Narcissists?Many people believe narcissists aren’t born that way. Psychologists aren’t exactly sure what causes children to become narcissists, but many think they become this way due to their environment. This article has an in-depth look into what causes kids to become narcissists. First, let’s look at the definition of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). This is a diagnosed mental health condition, not just a term to toss…