Mental health counseling Long Island & Queens, New York with Nancy Hilsenrath, LCSW, CASAC, SAP
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being.
It affects how we think, feel, and act.
Therapy can be beneficial for anyone.
A mental health counselor can listen to your struggles without judgement and suggest healthy ways to cope with your everyday challenges.
If you or someone you know is struggling emotionally, there are ways to get help.
Nancy works with adolescents and adults with behavioral health concerns. She works with concerns ranging from primary mental health issues, substance use disorder, eating disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and chronic pain.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT COUNSELING, CONTACT NANCY HILSENRATH TODAY.
- Seeking Assistance for AnxietySeeking assistance for anxiety problems is the first step towards a better tomorrow. We all worry from time to time. These days, the world seems especially stressful and you may be feeling more angst than usual. Your time may be stretched thin due to added responsibilities or perhaps you have too much time on your hands and are feeling a sense of ennui. Either way, it can be challenging emotionally. Life is fluid and we all have our ebbs and flows, but having an anxiety disorder goes beyond your usual tides. According to the Mayo clinic, people with anxiety disorders…
- Talk Therapy for Anxiety DisordersAnxiety disorders are the most common group of mental disorders. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, around 40 million adults in the United States over the age of 18 experience some type of anxiety disorder. Although many psychological conditions may involve anxiety, some of the most common may include post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, agoraphobia and/or social anxiety disorder. One of the things that these disorders share is the repeated, disruptive experience of anxiety and/or panic attacks. While anxiety may be persistent or lingering on a daily basis, panic attacks have a defined…
- Therapy for Anxiety / Panic AttacksPanic attacks can occur without warning, provoking an intense surge of fear that can be disruptive and debilitating. They can occur as a result of perceived danger in the absence of a real or imminent threat. Within minutes a panic attack can reach its peak, accompanied by both physical and mental discomfort. Generalized anxiety can have a constant presence in your life, while panic attacks occur in well-defined episodes. Although every individual’s experience may vary slightly, panic attacks generally manifest with the following symptoms: Physical • Increased heart rate and/or palpitations• Sensation of choking, shortness of breath, or suffocation• Sweating,…
- Seeing an EMDR Therapist for Dealing with TraumaEMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing. In the simplest terms, an EMDR therapist helps adults and children address the emotional distress and traumatic memories of disturbing life experiences. Resolving traumatic memories and associated symptoms. During EMDR therapy, the protocol is as follows: The client attends to emotionally disturbing material and brief sequential doses while simultaneously focusing on an external stimulus. Therapy involves the following 3 parts: HISTORY TAKING SESSION: the painful events / memories that have laid the groundwork for dysfunction are processed – forging new associative links with adaptive information. IDENTIFYING PRESENT TRIGGERS: current circumstances that illicit distress…
- Anxiety: a Core Cause & Symptom of Substance AbuseThe ugly head of anxiety rears itself in many forms throughout our lives. Some cases are much worse than others, requiring anxiety counseling or even hospitalization. While we all experience anxiety on occasion, it is prevalent in situations where substance abuse occurs. Not only is it one of the direct triggers for abuse, it exists as a symptom that manifests before, during and after abuse occurs. It is a “Catch-22” psychological disorder and it is difficult to combat without help. Indirect Causes of Anxiety Anxiety can be instigated in a variety of ways. As we evolve as a society, new…
- Nancy Hilsenrath, treatment placement specialist at Acadia healthcare.Hi, my name is Nancy Hilsenrath and I’m a treatment placement specialist with Acadia healthcare. Acadia healthcare is the largest behavioral health organization in the world. My role is to help providers, family members, or loved ones find the best residential treatment program that suits their individual needs. As a treatment placement specialist, I work with adolescents and adults with behavioral health concerns. I work with concerns ranging from primary mental health issues, substance use disorder, eating disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and chronic pain. It is my goal to help you find a viable option in a smooth efficient…
- Court Ordered Mental Health EvaluationsIf you get involved in any legal situation that implicates your mental health, you may be ordered to undergo court ordered mental health evaluations. This can arise in a number of contexts, including civil, criminal, or family law matters. Mental health assessments are performed by a qualified professional. That professional evaluates your mental health, looking for conditions such as anxiety, depression, post traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder, substance abuse, or others. Court ordered evaluations usually begin with a short written or online evaluation. There is then a follow-up with a mental health professional to discuss those written answers. In-person evaluations…
- Depression Counseling in a Virtual WorldWe live in unprecedented times where sitting in a room together can become a health issue. However, despite global pandemics, life continues to move forward. For many people, that means a continual struggle with depression. In fact over 16 million Americans have had at least one depressive episode in the last twelve months. Depression can be a debilitating illness affecting almost every aspect of your life, from relationships to your career. It can disrupt your ability to interact with people in the way you used to, cause an inability to deal with the pressures of daily life, and stop you…
- Anxiety: If experiencing these symptoms, you may benefit from counseling.Experiencing some amount of anxiety can be normal as a natural survival instinct or to enhance motivation and perform well under stress. It may be related to work and school performance, important events, or taking caution to protect oneself. But when anxiety becomes a pervasive disruption to your daily life, it can take an insidious toll on many aspects of your mental health, work and relationships. Although anxiety may be focused on one particular item or event, it can easily be displaced or generalized to a broader sense of fear. Every individual is different and depending on the circumstances, symptoms…
Nancy Hilsenrath is currently seeing clients in-person (inside or outside) at her locations in Long Island and Queens, NY.
You are worth making the phone call to inquire. Your mental health is a good investment.
Licenses / Certifications:
NY State Certified Social Worker
NY State Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Specialized training in Domestic Violence
Substance Abuse Professional
Certified Alcohol and Substance Abuse Professional
National Association of Social Workers
Fellow of the NY State Society for Clinical Social Work
Board Certified Diplomat of the American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work