Mental health counseling Long Island & Queens, New York with Nancy Hilsenrath, LCSW, CASAC, SAP
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being.
It affects how we think, feel, and act.
Therapy can be beneficial for anyone.
A mental health counselor can listen to your struggles without judgement and suggest healthy ways to cope with your everyday challenges.
If you or someone you know is struggling emotionally, there are ways to get help.
Nancy works with adolescents and adults with behavioral health concerns. She works with concerns ranging from primary mental health issues, substance use disorder, eating disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and chronic pain.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT COUNSELING, CONTACT NANCY HILSENRATH TODAY.
- Social Media Addiction: How It Impacts TeensSocial media addiction and how it impacts teens – focusing on the damaging effects social media can have on our lives. Do you have a teen that uses social media excessively / compulsively? Numerous studies find that addiction to social media is similar to nicotine addiction, and negatively impacts many aspects of teens’ lives. You may not be surprised to hear about the addicting effects from using social media, especially on younger generations. This addiction is linked to lower self-esteem and depression. socialmediavictims.org has put together an in-depth guide about social media addiction and included some helpful information specifically about … Read more
- Therapy for Anxiety & Panic AttacksPanic attacks can occur without warning, provoking an intense surge of fear that can be disruptive and debilitating. They can occur as a result of perceived danger in the absence of a real or imminent threat. Within minutes a panic attack can reach its peak, accompanied by both physical and mental discomfort. Generalized anxiety can have a constant presence in your life, while panic attacks occur in well-defined episodes. Although every individual’s experience may vary slightly, panic attacks generally manifest with the following symptoms: Physical • Increased heart rate and/or palpitations• Sensation of choking, shortness of breath, or suffocation• Sweating, … Read more
- How anxiety & insomnia are linked together, and how counseling can help.Do you have a hard time sleeping? Do you find that your mind is constantly racing with thoughts to the point where you can’t fall or stay asleep? If so, you’re not alone. Insomnia / sleeplessness are common problems that can be caused by a variety of factors, including anxiety. Anxiety & Insomnia Have a Direct Physiological Connection Anxiety can cause sleeplessness because anxiety causes the body to produce increased levels of stress hormones, such as cortisol and adrenalin. This can lead to agitation, a racing heart, rapid breathing, muscle tension, aches & pains, sweating – all of which can … Read more
- Anxiety & Drug Use: The Disturbing Link: How Counseling Can Help With BothAnxiety & drug use are often linked together. People who struggle with anxiety may turn to drugs as a way to self-medicate and calm down. However, while this may provide temporary relief, it can actually worsen the underlying anxiety in the long run. In this blog, we explore this connection between anxiety & drug use and how counseling can help manage anxiety and learn better ways to cope. Individuals Who Are Anxious Often Try To Get Away From Their Emotional Problems. People who are worried or restless may drink in order to relieve tension. They may also attempt to soothe … Read more
- How to manage anxiety during times of uncertainty.Due to the pandemic, many people have been experiencing fear, anxiety, sadness, confusion… Although we have no control over a crisis, we must focus on where we DO have control: our response to it. Here’s just a few tips on how diminish anxiety: LEARN A NEW SKILL / START A NEW HOBBY Creating things puts your attention on what’s satisfying. Do something new: gardening, learn a new language, how to cook… Put your attention on positive things, not on the virus, or unemployment, or anything that’s stirring up anxiety within you. Do things that bring you joy & laughter. It … Read more
- Seeing an EMDR Therapist for Dealing with TraumaEMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing. In the simplest terms, an EMDR therapist helps adults and children address the emotional distress and traumatic memories of disturbing life experiences. Resolving traumatic memories and associated symptoms. During EMDR therapy, the protocol is as follows: The client attends to emotionally disturbing material and brief sequential doses while simultaneously focusing on an external stimulus. Therapy involves the following 3 parts: HISTORY TAKING SESSION: the painful events / memories that have laid the groundwork for dysfunction are processed – forging new associative links with adaptive information. IDENTIFYING PRESENT TRIGGERS: current circumstances that illicit distress … Read more
- Nancy Hilsenrath, treatment placement specialist at Acadia healthcare.Hi, my name is Nancy Hilsenrath and I’m a treatment placement specialist with Acadia healthcare. Acadia healthcare is the largest behavioral health organization in the world. My role is to help providers, family members, or loved ones find the best residential treatment program that suits their individual needs. As a treatment placement specialist, I work with adolescents and adults with behavioral health concerns. I work with concerns ranging from primary mental health issues, substance use disorder, eating disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and chronic pain. It is my goal to help you find a viable option in a smooth efficient … Read more
- Court Ordered Mental Health EvaluationsIf you get involved in any legal situation that implicates your mental health, you may be ordered to undergo court ordered mental health evaluations. This can arise in a number of contexts, including civil, criminal, or family law matters. Mental health assessments are performed by a qualified professional. That professional evaluates your mental health, looking for conditions such as anxiety, depression, post traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder, substance abuse, or others. Court ordered evaluations usually begin with a short written or online evaluation. There is then a follow-up with a mental health professional to discuss those written answers. In-person evaluations … Read more
Nancy Hilsenrath is currently seeing clients in-person (inside or outside) at her locations in Long Island and Queens, NY.
You are worth making the phone call to inquire. Your mental health is a good investment.
Licenses / Certifications:
NY State Certified Social Worker
NY State Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Specialized training in Domestic Violence
Substance Abuse Professional
Certified Alcohol and Substance Abuse Professional
National Association of Social Workers
Fellow of the NY State Society for Clinical Social Work
Board Certified Diplomat of the American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work